I recently came across a interesting problem with the Websense hosted security and allowing just certain streaming videos from YouTube to be viewed. What I came across is that with a website it has a embeded YouTube video in the website and the user needed to play it. By default if you have streaming media blocked you wont be able to access anything on the streaming video site YouTube.
- The setup is they are using the hosted endpoint client installed on the computers.
- In the Websense online program you will login and create a new Custom Category under the Policies Management.
- Name the Category accordingly “YouTube Allowed”
- Add the following sites to the category (please note that these may change by site)
- youtube.com/embed/ (youtube unique id for video)
- Note that each YouTube video has a unique id so find that id and apply it accordingly.
- Once the custom category is completed go to Policies.
- Select the policy that you are wanting to allow the YouTube videos on.
- In the web policy that you selected click on the “Web Categories” tab.
- Under the custom categories select the YouTube category that you created.
- In the actions section click the “Allow Access” (with the allow access it will ignore any other blocking category.
This is the first revision and will be updated in the future.
I wanted to get others this information to assist them and if you have anything that you want to add be sure to send me a message or comment on this post.